Virtual Heiva 2020 Applications CLosed
A message from our founder, Lindsay McNicol
We did not expect to reach the capacity of four categories within the first few hours of opening up application process. That being said, categories 10-14, 15-17, 18-24, and 25-34 will close Monday, July 20th, 2020 at Midnight PDT.
We will also be closing the rest of the categories Tuesday July 21st a midnight PDT. We are taking this measure to ensure that our team can provide you with quality work within the timeframe. We are extremely grateful to all the groups and independents who have signed up from all over the world. An enormous Mauruuru roa from our family to yours.
Heiva 2020 Process:
Our website will be open for solo registration on Friday, July 17, 2020, at 2 pm Pacific Time and be closed starting July 20, 2020.
- There will be a Junior and Senior Division and each division will have three age categories (See age category on the website). We will be limiting registration to 30 Vahine and Tane soloists per age category on a first-come basis.
- When you register you will be asked to pay your solo fee and complete the registration process including the category. Once you are registered you will receive a confirmation email with your BEATS attached for your use. The Junior and Senior division will each have their own drum beats.
- Entry fees for Heiva San Diego Virtual is $20.00
- You will choreograph your solo to the provided beat and can upload your video to the website by Tuesday, July 28th at midnight. Instructions on video recording are posted.
- The SEMIFINAL rounds will be shown on Livestream (YouTube and Facebook) on August 8, 2020 (Junior Division) and August 9, 2020 (Senior division). Both Livestreams will start at 6 pm Pacific Time and the links will be posted.
- The Finalists will be announced on Monday, August 10 at 12 noon Pacific time on the HSD Facebook and Instagram pages. There will be 5 finalists per age division (a combination of Vahine and Tane based on semifinal scores). The FINALS Beat will be provided at that time. There will only be one beat for all finalists. The Finals video must be submitted by Thursday, August 13th, 2020 at midnight Pacific Time.
- The final round will be Livestream on Saturday, August 15, 2020, at 6 pm Pacific Time (YouTube and Facebook). The Overall winners in Junior and Senior will be announced the following week on the HSD Facebook and Instagram pages.
- The OVERALL winners (Junior and Senior) will each win a Travel Voucher from our host sponsor Air Tahiti Nui. The travel voucher value and travel dates are posted.
- In addition EACH of our finalists will have a Heiva San Diego pareo mailed to them. We have received preliminary inquiries from soloists and strongly encourage all participants to register early to ensure participation. Mauruuru!
Soloists must participate within their age category with a level from Intermediate to Advanced.
MUSIC WILL BE PROVIDED BY JULY 17TH
- 6-9 Intermediate & Advanced
- 10-14 Intermediate & Advanced
- 15-17 Intermediate & Advanced
- 18-24 Intermediate & Advanced
- 25-34 Intermediate & Advanced
- 35+ Intermediate & Advanced
- VIDEOS NEED TO BE CAPTURED IN LANDSCAPE MODE AND NOT IN PORTRAIT MODE. PLEASE BE SURE DANCER IS VISIBLE AT ALL TIMES FROM HEAD TO TOE. IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE PLEASE REFER TO OUR VIDEO TITLED, “HOW TO SHOOT MY VIRTUAL SOLO”
- MINIMIZE BACKGROUND ITEMS
- NO BACKLIGHTING OR GLARE
- NO OTHER INDIVIDUALS SHOULD BE IN THE VIDEO EXCEPT THE DANCER
- HAS TO HAVE A CLEAR VISION OF THE DANCER. HANDS AND FEET SHOULD NOT BE CUT FROM THE FRAME DURING THE DANCE
- SOLO BEAT IS ASSIGNED TO SPECIFIC AGE CATEGORIES. YOU CANNOT SWITCH SOLO NUMBERS OR SOLO BEATS
- NO CUTTING. NO EDITING. NO FILTER. THE FRAME CANNOT BE MOVED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE RECORDING
- **IMPORTANT** ONCE YOU START RECORDING PLEASE ALLOW 4-6 SECONDS BEFORE YOU START MUSIC AND ALLOW 4-6 SECONDS AFTER MUSIC STOPS BEFORE YOU END RECORDING
- WHEN SUBMITTING YOUR VIDEO PLEASE MAKE SURE TO COMPLETE ALL THE INFORMATION REQUESTED ON THE ONLINE VIDEO SUBMISSION FORM. VIDEO SUBMISSIONS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH OUR GUIDANCE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR ADVANCING INTO THE FINAL ROUND. PLEASE FOLLOW THE GUIDELINE
- COSTUME CRITERIA: WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO BE CREATIVE:
- VAHINE MUST WEAR PLAIN PAREO TIED TO THE SIDE OF THE HIP / NO HIP ADORNMENTS OR HAND-HELD ITEMS ARE ALLOWED
- TANE MUST WEAR A PLAIN OR POLYNESIAN PRINT, TIHERE OR MARO STYLE PAREO / NO HIP ADORNMENTS OR HAND-HELD ITEMS ARE ALLOWED